|Manages and directs the CAP professional development program.
- Create a positive unit training environment where CAP’s adult members can develop their required skills in a comfortable, professional atmosphere.
- Instruct the Level I Foundations Course to ensure that all new adult members receive a thorough orientation and have properly assimilated into the unit.
- Make adult members aware of training material and opportunities available to them through CAP and other sources to prepare them to perform operational missions, staff assignments, and other assigned duties. CAPR 20-1 2 JANUARY 2013 35
- Encourage and assist the adult members to take advantage of all appropriate training.
- Help ensure that CAP provides the best quality training with sufficient availability to support CAP’s missions
- Apply all directives applicable to professional development programs as necessary.
- Comprehend the structure of the CAP professional development program and its component programs, activities, and events.
- Ensure quick and easy access to applicable forms, directives and instructions.
- Maintain a unit training library.
- Assist unit members in proper completion and processing of forms if needed.
- Maintain unit training records regarding professional development activities.
- Assure proper test administration and security for the unit’s adult members.
- Correctly prepare documentation in support of training awards for the commander’s review.
- Submit applications for awards, ensure they are processed in a timely fashion and presented appropriately
- Coordinate member training accomplishments with other members of the staff.
- Mentor PD officers at subordinate units if applicable.
The professional development officer should be familiar with CAPP 204, CAPR 50-17 and other directives in the 35, 39, 50, 52, 200, 280, and 900 series.
Professional Development Library
CAPR 50-17 CAP Senior Member Professional Development Program
CAPR 35-5 CAP Officer and NCO Appointments and Promotions
CAPR 39-3 Award of CAP Medals, Ribbons, and Certificates
CAPR 50-4 Test Administration and Security
Specialty Track Guides
AF AU A4/6 Resources
FEMA NIMS Resource Center
Emergency Management Institute Independent Study Program
1st Lt Dave McDonald
Director of Professional Development
Asst Director of Professional Development
1st Lt Dave McDonald